[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]
■Japanese Immigration

Japanese Immigration

Canadians who wish information about Japanese visas such as procedures, fees, or processing times should consult the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan (if you are in Canada) or your local Japanese Immigration office (if you are in Japan). A list of contact information for the Japanese Immigration offices in major metropolitan areas can be found at the end of this section.

Canadians in Japan on working holiday visas may also obtain general information about life in Japan from the Japan Association for Working Holiday Makers. The can be contacted in Tokyo at (03) 3389-0181 or by fax at (03) 3389-1563.

Tourist Status

Canadians travelling to Japan for the purpose of tourism do not require a visa. Canadians who are granted leave to enter Japan for the purpose of tourism are permitted to remain in Japan for up to a maximum of 90 days.

However even though Canadians do not need a visa for the purpose of tourism, it is incumbent upon the Canadian traveller to satisfy the immigration officer at port of entry that the purpose of travel is indeed tourism. At a minimum the traveller must be able to present a valid passport which will not expire during his or her stay in Japan; a return airline ticket with a return date within 90 days of entry; proof of a place of stay in Japan; proof of sufficient funds to support him or herself during the stay in Japan; and an itinerary or explanation of activities that the traveller plans to engage in. If a traveller is unable to demonstrate that the intended purpose of visit is valid, he or she may be denied entry and in such a case, the carrying airline will remove the person back to the original point of embarkation. Persons denied entry will be held in an airline detention facility until such time as removal can occur. Additionally the airline may impose a charge upon the traveller to cover the costs of detention. Please note that the more frequently a visitor enters Japan, particularly where such visits are repeatedly of an extended duration, the greater scrutiny the traveller can expect to encounter.

Working in Japan

Canadians who wish to work in Japan must first apply for and obtain an appropriate visa from Japanese Immigration. Canadians who have entered Japan on tourist status are not permitted to work.

Visa Renewals and Re-Entry

In addition to obtaining the appropriate visa status to support activities in Japan, it is of course also the responsibility of the individual to ensure that this visa status is promptly renewed, when required.

Apart from the visa, a re-entry permit must also be obtained. A re-entry permit serves as the bearer's authority to re-enter Japan (following a temporary departure) on their existing visa. Re-entry permits are only issued inside Japan. It is good practice to obtain your re-entry permit well before any planned travel. You must check to see if your re-entry permit is valid for a single or multiple entries.

Over Stay and Illegal Work

Remaining in Japan beyond your permitted period of stay or engaging in activities not allowed by your visa status is illegal and can subject you to penalties of up to 3 years imprisonment, a fine of 300,000 yen and/or deportation with up to a 5 year ban upon re-entry to Japan.

Regional Japanese Immigration Offices

Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau
778-1 Shimo-Usui
Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi
Fukuoka-ken 812-0003
(092) 623-2400

Hiroshima Regional Immigration Bureau
6-30 Kami-hacchobori, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi
Hiroshima-ken 730-0012
(082) 221-4411

Kobe District Immigration Office
26 Kaigan-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi
Hyogo-ken 650-0024
(078) 391-6377

Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau
4-3-1 Sannomaru, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi
Aichi-ken 460-0001
(052) 951-2391

Naha District Immigration Bureau
1-15-15 Hikawa, Naha-shi
Okinawa 900-0022
(098) 832-4185

Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau
2-1-17 Tani-machi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu 540-0012
(06) 6941-0771

Sapporo Regional Immigration Bureau
Odori-nishi 12 chome, Chuo-ku, Sapporo-shi
Hokkaido 060-0042
(011) 261-7502

Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau
1-3-20 Gorin, Miyagino-ku, Sendai-shi
Miyagi-ken 983-0842
(022) 256-6076

Takamatsu Regional Immigration Office
1-1 Marunouchi, Takamatsu-shi
Kagawa-ken 760-0033
(087) 822-5852

Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
5-5-30 Kounann, Minato-ku
Tokyo 108-0075
(03) 5796-7111

Yokohama District Immigration Office
37-9 Yamashita-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi
Kanagawa-ken 231-0023
(045) 661-5110

2009-12-08 更新

▲先頭に戻る [ 戻る ]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]