[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Marriage in Canada

Each province or territory establishes their own regulations governing marriage within their jurisdiction. Anyone wishing to marry in Canada should contact the authorities in the provincial or territorial jurisdiction in which the marriage will be solemnized.

For marriages which were performed in Canada you can obtain a marriage certificate from the Vital Statistics office in the province or territorial office where the marriage took place. Contact information for these offices can be found on the Vital Statistics or birth, death, marriage certificate sections of this web site.

Some provinces, through their web pages, provide information on marriage regulations and you will find these links below.

Marriage in Japan

The solemnization of a marriage in Japan occurs through its registration which is carried out at ward or city offices throughout Japan. Canadians planning to marry in Japan should contact the ward or city office in their area of residence (or area of residence of their fiance) for detailed information.

As part of the marriage registration process the ward or city office will require you to submit proof that you are legally free to marry. This proof is accepted in the form an affidavit that you must swear in front of the Consul at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in Nagoya.

You are therefore requested to call ahead for an appointment. The cost is $50. This can be paid in yen but as yen cost will change from time to time due to exchange rate fluctuations, it is not posted on this site.

Once your marriage is registered, you should ensure that you keep a copy of the "marriage certificate" that you are issued as this becomes your proof of marriage. While you can contact your normal province of territory of residence in Canada (see Vital Statistics section of this site for contact information) to see if they will register your marriage and issue you a certificate, you should be aware that most of these offices will only register marriages which are solemnized within their jurisdiction.

Visas following Marriage

Canadians who marry non-Canadians must note that the act of marriage does not confer Canadian citizenship upon the spouse. If the couple wish to return to Canada to reside, an application for a permanent resident visa must be made on behalf of the non-Canadian spouse. Information on the application process is available from the Visa Section of the Canadian Embassy. Please note that it can take several months for a permanent resident visa application to be processed. You should plan accordingly.

If, following marriage to a Japanese citizen, a Canadian wishes to apply for a Japanese spousal visa, Japanese Immigration will require you to present a statement from the Embassy that you have informed us of your marriage. You should submit to the Embassy in Tokyo an original of your spouse's family register in which your marriage has been recorded together with the fee of $50 (or the yen equivalent). This may be done by mail, but in such a case, you should enquire with the Embassy or Consulate as to the prevailing yen rate. Payment by mail should be made in the form of a postal money order made payable to the Canadian Embassy.

2009-12-08 更新

▲先頭に戻る [ 戻る ]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]